Chapter Eight: Therapies

Chapter Eight: Therapies
            This chapter is dedicated to ideas and therapies that saw me through the dark days when negative thoughts and energy levels—emotional, spiritual, and intellectual—bottomed out and when the fight seemed too up hill.
Join and Participate Therapy
            A month into my diagnosis, my doctor-brother, Russ, called and told me about an upcoming seminar—Life After Breast Cancer. He asked me if I’d heard of it and if I were planning to go. Yes, I had received a notice in the mail; no, I wasn’t planning on going. “Why?” he asked. I began to tell him that I didn’t feel good, that I couldn’t drive yet, that I just wasn’t interested. “Why?” he asked again. I tried to tell him that I wasn’t a “joiner.” “There is nothing to join,” he said. “What’s the real reason?” he asked. Finally I had to admit that I wasn’t comfortable with the fact that I had breast cancer.” “You need to go,” he insisted. “I have the phone number right here in front of me. I’m going to call in a reservation for you and pay for it. I hope you won’t waste my money.”
            What could I do but go. A friend who had had breast cancer several years previously actually called and invited me to go with her. I am very thankful I did because it forced me out of my denial, and, second, I saw many, many breast cancer survivors. I saw beautiful women celebrating life. I enjoyed the breakout sessions, the luncheon, the fashion show. (All the models were breast cancer survivors). I enjoyed the camaraderie and felt that being a breast cancer survivor was something to be proud of. 
            Since that first toe-in-the-water experience, I have attended support groups and classes and the Life After Breast Cancer two more times. I got to be a model in the fashion show.  It was very fun. I’ve walked several times in the Race for the Cure with various family members. Each year we get t-shirts telling something about breast cancer on the front or back. I’ve been most surprised as our sons have taken Richard’s and my t-shirts for their own which they wear as an under shirt nearly every day. I’ve felt it was there way of showing love and support. All this has been therapeutic. I strongly suggest and advise joining and participating.
            For those of you who live in small towns and do not have access to any other breast cancer survivors, go to the Internet. There are chat groups for survivors.
Sock Therapy
            My sister, Eileen, and her daughter, Andrea, came to visit me the day before the first chemo treatment.  They handed me a small gift. "What's the occasion?” I asked. "We will bring you a present a day or two before each chemo," they said. I opened the gift to find a pair of fancy socks. "It's an old Norwegian custom," Eileen said. "Wearing bright or beautiful or outlandish socks brings gladness to the heart." "Really?" I asked. "No, we just made that up on the way here, but you will know that we will be thinking about you every time you look at your feet."
            Eileen and Andrea were true to their word and gave me three more wildish pair of socks a day or two before each chemo. They did help bring positive thoughts to my mind and a smile to my face. I kept the charm going. I bought Halloween socks, Christmas socks, flowered socks, striped socks, and black and white checkered socks. I'm hoping to find Valentine and Easter socks to round out my collection.
Earring Therapy
            Melanie-the-chemo-nurse suggested I purchase some new earrings. "Get something dangly and weird," she said. "Why not," I thought.  So I began looking for cheap, outlandish earrings. With my bald head, the earrings diverted attention and gave acquaintances something to look at besides no hair. When I'd passed my reflection in the mirror, the earrings gave me a more normal look, and it was nice to be able to dress up a bit.
Hat Therapy
            I tried several new looks with hats. I liked the baseball caps best, but sometimes I wore a cowboy hat.  (I had to wear something under it, however, because the straw scratched my hairless head.) I wore a fabric floppy-rim striped hat with a fabric flower on the front, which covered my entire head and forehead. My baldness didn't show at all. I also tried a sunbonnet and another straw hat that looked like a small sombrero on which I could change the ribbon to match different outfits. Hats also protected a sun-sensitive scalp. As it got colder I purchased several winter hats. One of my favorites was a bright green fleece hat with attached earmuffs that was quite stylish! I liked the "hat" look in the same way a child cuddles a favorite blanket. I felt safer from stares and unwanted comments.
Water Therapy
            Chemo patients are told to drink lots of water. I bought a bright pink sports water bottle and kept it filled. The rotten chemo taste in my mouth was momentarily diluted with several swallows of water. Some days ice cold water tasted good. On other days I would feel better if the water was lukewarm.
            Just before the surgeries, I waded in the Pacific Ocean at San Diego. The sun, sand, waves, water, sea creatures, and salty breeze all seemed to repeat to me over and over again, "Things are going to be fine." I took mental pictures of every detail of that beach, the sights, sounds, smells, tastes, touches and put them in an "instant recall" mode in the front of my brain. When a blood-seeking nurse came to draw blood, or the pain seemed consuming, or the dark foreboding "you're not going to make it" voice tried to get my attention, I mentally transported myself to my favorite San Diego beach behind Del Coronado Hotel and walked across the warm sand to let the water lap at my bare toes and ankles. I listened to the waves and gathered shells as the tide went out. And suddenly the nurse would be saying she was through with the needle poke, or the pain-killers seemed to be working better, or I answered that negative voice and told him not to bother me again.
Today's Positive Thought Therapy
            As I’ve said, when I was recovering from surgery and again during chemo, I found positive thoughts were sometimes hard to come by. One solution came. I discovered that if I substituted a good thought for a depressing one, and kept it forefront in my brain, I’d have purpose in my thoughts. At the top of each day's journal entry I'd write, "TPT" (Today's Positive Thought) and then write down what one thought I would revert to all day long when the depressing thoughts came. The first day I tried it, I wrote "TPT—Jared's eighth birthday." (This was on April 11, one day after I was home from the hospital after the mastectomy and reconstruction.) Jared is my grandson who was nine months at this time. I felt if I thought of a specific day in the future, I'd live to see that day. So every time the negative voice would begin, I'd say out loud, "Jared at eight," and then think about how tall he'd be or what color his hair would be. I'd ask myself questions such as "Will he be tall for his age like his father?" and "Will he enjoy reading or computing or basketball?" The next day I wrote at the top of my planner, “Dan at eighteen” and all day long I’d think of Dan graduating from high school.
History Therapy
            Since the day of my diagnosis, I wanted to be finished with cancer. I wanted to put a lid on the box, close the door, and say thanks for the lessons taught. I am not implying that it always won’t be a milestone in my life because it will, but I found an actual way to put the cancer on a self by making a history of my cancer.
            I collected every paper that had to do with my cancer—copies of the pathologist's, doctor's, and hospital's reports, cards and letters from friends and family, breast cancer stamps and educational information, and other memorabilia that would fit in a binder and made it into a history. I wrote about every detail. It filled a four-inch binder! Making the history has helped put the cancer in the past. When you read a history book, it is about something long ago. History of the Roman Empire, history of Abraham Lincoln, histories of World War II are accounts of things that happened in the past. My cancer history is a finished book about something that happened in the past. At least I hoped and prayed it would then stay in the past.
Animals
            As I have explained, at the time of my mastectomy and reconstruction, I was supposed to be in Africa on safari. It was another loss because in all probability I will never get the chance to go again. I had told several friends about the trip, but when the cancer came along, only a couple of them put two and two together to realize that I would miss the trip. On one of the worst days in the hospital my friend, Gabriele, poked her head in the door. She had one hand behind her back. She said, "I brought you something so you won't miss everything about your safari," and she handed me an 18-inch plush giraffe. It was the right thing at the right moment. I kept the giraffe where I could see him for months as a reminder of Gabriele's friendship and as the mascot of my cancer safari.
            One day Joanne called and told me about the chemo depression she was experiencing. We had talked several times about ways to reduce the loneliness that comes with cancer. She said, I've just spent the past half-hour sitting in a sunspot on the floor, with Casey (her cat) on my lap. As the sun warmed my back and as I felt Casey purring, I felt peaceful and knew there would be better days." A live animal to love can be therapeutic.
            I have never been an animal lover, but in my weakened condition due to the chemo, I agreed to allow Dan, who was then fifteen, to get a puppy. This beautiful yellow Labrador Retriever, he named Madalyn won my heart as she would curl up in my lap and just sit for as long as I'd let her stay. She seemed to prefer me to other family members and sensed that she was helping me. She's long since grew too big to fit in my lap, but we still have quiet, beneficial times together.
Humor Therapy
            Cancer is not the topic of any comedy I've ever heard of, but there were a few funny moments along the way. A funny get-well card would make my day, and there were a few opportunities to laugh instead of cry when tense moments were made lighter. One day a close friend dropped by. It was the first time we'd seen each other since my diagnosis and surgery. She was visibly emotional. To try to help her feel more at ease, I made a little joke about something. She said, "Well, at least your sense of humor isn't terminal.” She immediately realized she had said the "T" word and made desperate attempts to make me think that she didn't think I was terminal. Everything she said just made it worse. We both ended up laughing.
            I received books as gifts while I was ill. Most were on solemn subjects like coping with adversity, but several were light and fun. Two I especially enjoyed were Walking Across Egypt by Clyde Edgerton and A Touch of Wonder by Arthur Gordon. Books on tape were great gifts because I didn't have to hold the book and turn the pages.
Music Therapy
            My musical needs surprised me. I have given music tapes as gifts to very ill friends and family thinking that music was the most healing, restorative gift possible. My taste in music normally ranges from country and light rock to chamber music. Usually music with a good beat helps me work and gets me through unfavorite jobs such as washing windows and weeding the garden. Before I had the experience of being so sick, I'd use classical music as background to write letters or work at the computer. On Sundays I enjoyed listening to gospel music and hymns. But during the worst days towards the end of chemo, I couldn't trust myself with music for very long because it became background music to melodramas I'd create in my mind about death and dying. It may sound crazy but it happened over and over again. When I began to enjoy music again, I knew it was a sign I was getting better. I did enjoy listening to tapes of the world's greatest composers—their lives and their music.
Service Therapy
            Almost without exception, women who experience cancer turn their energies as soon as they can to help others survive what they have just been through. Having cancer expands a woman's natural tendency to empathize with those who are suffering. Marilyn, whose tells her story in chapter 11, is currently volunteering in the stem-cell transplant unit where she was a patient and is on the board of our local chapter of Life after Breast Cancer. Patti, whose story is in chapter 10, explains that she was not even finished with her treatments before she volunteered to call newly diagnosed cancer patients.  Andrea, whose you'll read about in chapter 12, changed her career to help women who have had mastectomies. She is an expert at reconstructing faces—noses, eyes, ears, which have been damaged with a revolutionary plastic process. It is not a surgical method but a molding prosthesis procedure, which is glued on. She now makes nipples for women who have had reconstructive breast surgery. Helen tells her cancer experience in chapter 10. She is a vivacious, chatty woman who visits with cancer victims in her community in their homes and becomes their friends.
            I have felt the need to serve. Even during chemo, I began feeling that I was incurring a debt that I would want to pay back for the hours of service so freely and willingly given to me. We thank Heavenly Father for his blessings by serving his other children, even at such times that we can give no more than a smile or a thank you.

 

Support Session #8: Therapies


            Take a few minutes and write down what therapies helped you during each phase of your cancer experience. In those early days following the diagnosis, what helped?  In the days of surgery, what brought you consolation? In your radiation and/or chemo experiences, what did you do for yourself or what did others do for you or say to you that helped? If you make this list now while it’s fresh on your mind, you will remember the specifics. Service is the best therapy of all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter Six: No Guilt Trips

Chapter Thirteen: Important and Discouraging